Monday, April 15, 2013

Top newspaper report-‘I dress the way I want to be addressed’



CHRISTENED Amanda Uzonitshabut popularly called Mandy,emerged on the scene in 1992, as a girl on the street, playing pranks on people in the popular Candid Camera segment ofCharly Boy Show. Regarded as the ‘Queen of Nigeria Comedy’, the Asaba-native studied Political Science at the Nnamdi Azikwe University, Awka. The comedienne shares her firsts withDANIEL ANAZIA.
What was growing up like?
It was fantastic. I grew up as a ‘child’ and not as a ‘pikin’. My father loved us, but he never spared the rod when it was necessary. My parents wanted me to study law like my siblings, but I opted for political science. Though they allowed me, there was a promise that I would study law later. And when I started working for Charly Boy, they felt I had graduated, so, I could do what I wanted.
Your major break
Though I have been in
arts and entertainment since 1992, as a comedian, it was Girls Night Outorganised by Hip-Hop World Magazine in 1999 that gave me the break. Prior to the show, I was working for Charly Boy on his show as the girl on the street in the popular Candid Camera segment. After my NYSC, I came back to work for him as Head of Production. I didn’t just go out of my way to become the first Nigerian female comedian, neither did I choose comedy, rather it chose me. I have a degree in Political Science and could have struggled to become my Local Government Chairman. Comedy wanted me and I had to start doing it.
Which was your first call — music, comedy or acting?
I was known as Mandy the comedienne, Mandy the actress and Mandy the singer. At a time, I felt I was doing a lot of things at the same time, so, I decided to stick to one — comedy.
Your definition of fashion
It’s something that you wear and you are comfortable in it. I don’t go over board.
First thing you consider when dressing up
I dress the way I want to be addressed. As a married woman, if you wear a tight fitting clothes with your entire compartment showing and you walk down the street, men will definitely call you as they call their dogs. Before now, I could dress in clothes that show off the cleavages, but at a point, I asked myself ‘how do I want my daughter to see me… a whore?’ No, I want her to see me first as a mother, then a decent person, I answered.

Favourite piece of clothe
It’s jeans for its comfort.

First choice signature scent
Coco Channel, it has a nice fragrance.

First love designer(s)
For clothes, I do Zizi Cardow, but shoes, it’s Ferragamo. Most times, I walk into shoes, I find it difficult getting my sizes but Zizi’s attention to detail and body is unmatchable.  
First choice holiday
Paris, it’s peaceful and beautiful. Like my daughter would say, ‘mama let me go to Parieee, the city of love’.
First love food
It’s my native Nsala soup and pounded yam, but I’m more of a junk person.
Craziest decision
Investing in a landed property in Lekki as young girl, 15 years. My friends were like don’t buy, but I’m grateful to God it turned out to be a wise decision.
Your first kiss and crush on a guy
I love kissing and it’s the best thing I can get. We schooled together in Benin, and when I was about traveling to France to further my education, I lied to my parents that I was going to see my friend, but ended up in his house.

No comments: