Friday, April 19, 2013

IS GUARANTY TRUST BANK NIGERIA LOOSING IT?


I remember my Father used to send me to the bank, to help get him money as a young boy in Jss one. In those days, only three banks really stood out. They were first bank, Union bank and may be UBA bank. Later on, some bank rose up to compete favorably and seriously. One of such bank was Standard Trust Bank. They came up with a system that was so flexible that you will wonder if that system of banking was possible. Their customer service was pure, blemish, outstanding and easily noticed. But all those got swallowed up when they merged with and became UBA. I closed my account without looking back and even today, if you give me a UBA cheque I will thank you but in my mind am not thanking you. They have a lot to improve on. And I mean a lot.

After the merger which took place as a result of the bank capitalization, Guaranty Trust bank came in handy. Of course, as one of the banks which did not go under, many came to trust the bank deeply. As a result, many trooped to the bank and am sure that the exodus became much more than they can handle. I may not be right, but the crowd that

you see in that bank each time you visit the Adeola Odeku branch and the Herbert Macaulay Branch yaba,you cannot help but wonder if you are on a secondary school assembly ground.  I can not fault the bank in its style. You may not be able to fault the bank in its area of operation, but its policy on branch opening leaves much to be desired. 


When you visit a GT bank, you are only reminded of ancient banking because of the crowd. Have you visited the  Herbert Macauly branch in Yaba recently? You will be irritated to your bone marrow. Some times the crowed you see there and the heat it emits only want to make you throw up. The picture you see above is a little crowed just in there customer service section. Not the main banking hall. I refused to take any pictures in the banking hall because it will remind you of the Oshodi market of those days. In the whole of yaba area, you can only point at one branch. After that you must go to Ojuelegba, or Gbagada. With all their sign post in the university of Lagos, not one branch of the bank exist there.

The point we are making is simple. Those you see waiting  in your banks in terms of customers is always too much. I sincerely always say God bless this people for their patience. Modern banking is not done that way anymore. Create branches and employ more hands to manage it. When I visited the Yaba branch today and saw the crowed, I pitied the staff. They looked overwhelmed and over worked. People in the bank looked like pensioners begging to be paid. I saw a very old man on the queue. It was not a pleasant site to behold. Kindly Create like two or more branches in that area as well as other areas. Forget about the talk on the use of Atm, I have seen friends who broke their atm because other friends where robbed through Atm. People are taken by Robbers this days and asked to remove 150k from each ATm they have. Many use it, but many also hate it for security reasons. Though the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, many will never use the Atm. With this, GTB will have to wake up or do you have a policy which says you are anti progressive? Or perhaps you are waiting until some one will faint while Queuing at your bank to get his money? The time to wake up is now. This observation is not meant to bring you down but to help you adjust.     

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abeg oga joe u ave not only hit d nail on d head but precisely too. I pity myself anytime anyone gives me a Gt cheque. I always beg for cash instead u can imagine
Ghost 4u

Anonymous said...

Nice One !!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so true even their customer care is not caring anymore.

Anonymous said...

i think is a case of over trading. having more than what you can handle