Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Newspaper report- My experience with kidnappers unpleasant –NTA newscaster



A female journalist with the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) in Akure, Olubunmi Oke, has described her experience in the hands of abductors as unpleasant. Oke, who regained her freedom from the kidnappers last Saturday, is the Assistant Manager (News) in NTA.
She said no ransom was paid for her freedom, adding that the kidnappers decided to release her when they discovered that she was a journalist and when the news of her abduction spread. Narrating her ordeal, Oke said: “The State Security Service (SSS) officials took charge of the situation.
So, we did not pay. The fact that
they got to know that I am a journalist and that the news was everywhere hastened my release. “My experience in the kidnappers’ hands was not palatable. It was a very terrible experience. For days, I could only drink water. I could not eat.
“As I was coming home from NTA office along Ondo Road on Thursday at about 8:30, I noticed a car following me after Mobil filling station on Oba Ile-Akure Road. So, I had to increase the speed with which I was driving and I rolled up my class. Very close to Jojein hotel, I slowed down to carefully maneuver potholes. It was at that point that they leveled up with me and I was double crossed. “I asked them what my offence was.
I even offered them my car keys, but the three armed men dragged me into their car. One of them got into my car and drove behind us.
“They drove through Owode to FUTA and to Ondo. They told me that they were taking me to Delta State, but when we got to Ore, they covered my eyes. They blindfolded me from that Thursday night till Saturday night before they released me. So, it was impossible for me to know where I was.
“My housemaid and baby were in car with me. They dropped them on the road before driving my car away. The housemaid and the baby later went home in a public transport. I learnt that the kidnappers later dropped my car at Igbara Oke in Ifedore Local Government Area of Ondo State.
At present, the car is with the State Special Anti- Robbery Squad (SARS). When I was released on Saturday, they gave me my car keys. I hope to get the car during the week.” Oke said the incident was just a case of random kidnapping, adding that the way her kidnappers related with her did not portray that they were sent directly to her.
“Nobody sent them to me. It was a case of random kidnapping. I just walked into their hands. I do not want to believe anyone sent them to me because when they got me, they were asking me series of questions. Where do you work? Who are you? I think that showed clearly that they did not know anything about me. I think the kind of car I was driving coupled with the way I was dressed attracted them.”

No comments: